Saturday, June 22, 2019

Letter #3

Here is Letter #3 in the Stewart series:
 


                                                                                                May 10, 1944

Dear Dad,

These sudden changes and  turns of events are keeping me on the jump as if it weren't enough that I will  graduate "before you can say Jack Robinson" and that the biggest invasion from the sea in history is imminent. But, however, a vague form is beginning to disentangle itself from the haze. Since your plans are uncertain and mine must be made definite soon, Mother and I think that I should decide to stay here, since surely I can find a place to stay, for we have many friends.[i]

 My job has given me valuable help in another way other than financial and intellectual: it has helped me to see more clearly the high value of chemistry. Since all entering engineering courses at the U must start in June, I would not be able to work full-time this summer, and I will need both the extra money and a rest from academic duties. 

Consequently, I shall register for a major in chemistry.[ii]

The first six weeks of this semester were unmarked for me until yesterday, because I was absent on the day report cards were issued. This is how they stack up:

                                    Per  1                                    Per. 2
English                          B                                          A
Mod. Prob.                     B                                         B
Trig.                               B                                         C
Physics                          A -                                       B -

Modern Problems and Trigonometry were both harder this semester than before. The C in Trig. was a mark which Miss Cockburn did not realize was so low, for she did not remember that the tests on which I received 30 and 38 were immediately after I was absent for several days and I was completely at a loss as how to solve the problems.  The second six weeks in Physics, we began electricity, and for one who is not very well acquainted, that is a hard subject.

                                                Page 2

Perhaps you can remember some of the commencements which you saw. The highest honor cards awarded are for 15 points. Since a straight A average equals 3.0 for one semester, and there are six semesters in senior high school, you can see that it is an honor. If I can earn an A in both English and Physics the last six weeks and, of course, get at least B's in the other two (but I'll try for A's), I will receive a 15 point honor card.[iii]

I must close this letter now but first, isn't it a coincidence that your birthday falls on Mother's Day this year. It probably makes each of you feel more related. I must hurry and go to choir practice now, and then I shall do some school work and go to bed. I have to keep my class schedule in mind all the time, but a certain amount of regimentation is a good thing for those unused to it.

Wishing you a very happy birthday, and hoping that we will see each other again soon.
                                                                                    Lovingly,   Stewart

                                                            Page 3





[i] This opening paragraph is bewildering. Clearly, there has been some communication between Stewart and dad that we don't have which involves some kind of plan to meet, or something. The most bewildering part is the reference to friends where he could stay. If he is saying "here" - i.e., Minneapolis - why would he need a place to stay?  He's at home!
[ii] This implies that Stewart was considering a major in Engineering, but if he did that, he would have to start classes in the summer, work part-time and lose income. So Chemistry instead. I hadn't realized before that he was considering a career in science.
[iii] I think the assumption behind all this is that he had been getting straight A's prior to this semester. He had to explain the low grades at the beginning of the semester and also reassure dad that he could still pull out an honor card.

No comments:

Post a Comment