Thursday, June 13, 2019

Stewart Letter #1

Last week was the 75th Anniversary of D-Day and today, June 13th, is the 75th anniversary of my brother Stewart's graduation from Marshall High School in Minneapolis. I know that because he says so in his "reminiscences" that I published:

"We graduated one week after D-Day. D-Day was the sixth and we graduated on the 13th. There were guys in our class who had been drafted before they graduated." 

We have about 33 letters Stewart wrote during that time, starting with one on March 15, 1944 and ending with one in late 1946, which give a vivid and detailed picture of the impact that the war had on his life. I've decided to transcribe those letters, annotate them, and post them here from time to time as a tribute to him. The letters are written mostly to dad, sometimes to mother.

Stewart as a high school senior

                                                                                March 15, 1944
Dear Dad,[1]
            I am sorry that I have not written to you for a long time, and I will not try to excuse myself for it, but I will attempt to show you some of the things that are keeping me busy.

            Mother made me stay home from school[2] today because my leg is swollen just above the ankle. I must have received a hard knock when I didn't notice it, and the resultant bruise has hurt some ligament or something. But, however, I think that it will be okay soon.[3]

            On Monday, March 6, I was called into Mrs. Leeuwen's (sp?) room (the student counselor) and was told about a job in a control laboratory at Spencer-Kellogg and Sons,[4] a linseed oil concern. It is located between some elevators near 25th street....[5]

The Spencer-Kellogg factory in Minneapolis where Stewart worked

 Heretofore they have hired only University students, but so many are being drafted that they had to appeal to Marshall. I will be able to keep the job all the time that I go to the University, thus being able to earn my way more easily. My job is to grind the meal, weigh out 5-gram samples to the nearest milligram, find the moisture content, and the oil content, all the while keeping each sample assorted. There are four regular expellers with three shifts a day. There are about six special expellers with three shifts. Moisture is found by placing a tin of meal in an electric oven for 75 minutes and then weighing again to find difference, thus finding the amount of moisture. The oil is found by running carbon tetrachloride through a sample of the meal wrapped in a piece of filter paper. The carbon tetrachloride is boiled off after three hours, and the flash and oil is weighed to determine percent of oil. Meal sold to the farmers is guaranteed to have at least 3.5% oil, and the average runs about 4.5% according to our tests. If the oil content were too high, however, we would be losing money in our sale of oil.[6]
           
            On March 31 and April 1, a special tournament will be held at South St. Paul High School, and I am writing an original oration for the event. I think I shall give an oration on the merits of the Pan American Union[7] and its relation to the world today.

            On about February 16th, E. Stanley Jones[8] spoke at Marshall. Two or three nights later, I heard him speak at Wesley Temple to about 300 young people from different churches. Although he is a small man, his knowledge and character are limitless. 

Wesley Temple in Minneapolis

            This "six-weeks" period is seven weeks long, so we won't get our report cards marked until next Tuesday.

            On February 24, the Young People's Group[9] had charge of the Thursday night Lenten Service, and Millicent Myers from the Pilgrim Federation and I had charge of the devotions. Dr. Powell[10]  spoke on the topic, "If I Had But One Sermon to Preach," which is the topic for all the ministers who speak at the services.

            Since I have to get up so early to go to work, I am excused earlier from school. I had only Gym and Study, 5th and 6th anyway, but since Phys. Ed is required 5 days a week for seniors, I have transferred to Track sixth period, and I now go home for lunch right after 4th. I am getting more sleep out of the arrangement for no particular reason except that I know that I must get to bed very early in order to get enough sleep, and so I am getting about 7 1/2 hours a night on the average.

            The weather is rather inconsistent here. It has snowed several times, but each time a warm spell follows and melts most of the snow.

            I took the Eddy Test,[11] which determines if one can qualify for radio technician training in the Navy - just to see if I could. I passed it, along with almost every other boy that did, but it does not obligate me to follow it up.

            I'm feeling swell outside of my leg.
                          Yours sincerely,
                           Stewart

P.S. The desk[12] arrived this afternoon, and mother is thrilled.
           


                       


[1] ­At this time, dad was a Chaplain in the U.S. Army, based at Fort Lewis, WA.
[2] Stewart was a senior at Marshall High School in Minneapolis, MN.
[3] Several months later, when Stewart had his physical when he enlisted in the army, he learned for the first time that he had a broken fibula, 6 cm above the ankle! His doctor had never bothered to X-ray the leg. Stewart had been walking with a broken bone  in his leg all that time!
[4] Spencer-Kellogg & Sons was based in Buffalo, NY, but had a plant in Minneapolis as well, and at that time was probably the largest linseed oil manufacturer in the world.
[5] I lost the image of this page from iPhoto inexplicably at just this point as I was transcribing it. I can't find it in Trash or anywhere! Maybe I can recover it from the backup hard drive at home. Fortunately, only a couple of lines from the letter on this page were left to transcribe before I lost it.
[6] Spencer-Kellogg was primarily a manufacturer of linseed oil, but the mash created in the process was a by-product sold to farmers as feed. 
[7] The Pan-American Union was an organization formed in 1890 to promote cooperation among the countries of Latin America and the U.S. It was replaced in 1970 by the OAS - the Organization of American States.
[8] E. Stanley Jones (1884–1973) was a Methodist missionary who worked in India. He is remembered chiefly for his interreligious lectures to the educated classes in India, thousands of which were held across India during the first decades of the 20th century. He spent much time with Ghandi and the Nehru family. Gandhi challenged Jones to include greater respect for the mindset and strengths of the Indian character in his work. This effort to contextualize Christianity for India was the subject of his seminal work, The Christ of the Indian Road, which sold more than 1 million copies worldwide after its publication in 1925 and reputedly was a prime influence in Martin Luther King Jr.'s commitment to non-violence.
[9] This was a group of teen-agers at the First Congregational Church in Minneapolis which is where our family attended church while dad was in the army.
[10] This was probably Dr. John Walker Powell, who followed dad as minister of Como Avenue Congregational Church.  He was also a lecturer at the University of Minnesota, teaching classes in English and Biblical literature.
[11] Officially the RTST (Radio Technician Selection Test), it was commonly named after William C. Eddy, a retired officer and authority in electronics who came out of retirement after Pearl Harbor and helped to develop this test in response to an urgent need for radio technicians.
[12] This is the spinet desk which dad built for mother in a woodworking shop at Fort Lewis and which Suzie now has. 



No comments:

Post a Comment