Saturday, September 5, 2015

Colby, KS

We said our goodbyes at about 1:00 this afternoon - a lot of love flowing back and forth - and we headed for the  Boulder Farmers market where we knew we could get a good lunch. It was extra-large today, augmented by a big crafts fair. I got a falafel wrap; Ellen a pizza. A remarkable thing happened-walking through the crowds, a woman seemed to sort of greet me with a smile. I thought she was just an extra- friendly Boulderite, but she came up a moment later and said, "I think I know you! " And she did. It was Kathy Bernstein, who lived in Brattleboro for several years and sang in the Blanche Moyse Chorale with me back when Blanche directed it. I had not seen her for at least ten years, so I was amazed that she recognized me so quickly. She said that when she saw us, "Vermont" came into her head, but then she thought, "No, that's impossible." So that was cool!

We went east on Arapahoe out of Boulder and managed to get on I-70 way east and avoided a lot of Denver traffic. Then we drove about five hours to Colby, KS, where we are tonight.

                     The Kansas Welcome Center on I-70.


An information placard at the Kansas Welcome Center, showing scenic by- ways. 
It has a nice Walt Whitman quote, extolling the beauty of the Plains. 

                         We were treated to quite a Kansas sunset! 

No comments:

Post a Comment