Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Down day

Today was a down day for me. I slept poorly last night and just felt like doing nothing today. Ellen and Max spent the morning here while I stayed in bed, and this afternoon they went to Jackson to the rec center while I stayed home, rested and read. I'm reading Karen Armstrong's The Bible; The Biography (2007). It's something of a tour de force - attempting to summarize the creation and interpretation of the Bible over a 3000+ year period by both Jews and Christians in about 290 pages. But she has a gift for winnowing down huge amounts of information into an engaging narrative. You could take issue with virtually every statement in the book, but every statement is also plausible and has some support. I've enjoyed reading it and learned some things from it. It is particularly good at comparing and contrasting the way the Bible has been interpreted within various Jewish and Christian communities down through the centuries.


This evening, Ellen and I took a walk in the golden light. I feel better for having had my day of rest, hope for a good night's sleep tonight, and a normal day of activity tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment