Tuesday, August 31, 2021

The end of August

The last day of August feels like the end of summer. And what a summer it has been: A trip to the West Coast; an intense physical therapy program;  time in Maine; and quite a lot of time just enjoying our house in the woods. All in the shadow of a pandemic, but because we were vaccinated, not really very restricted. All in all, a good summer.

What lies ahead? Some of our usual choral activity that would be starting up in the fall is on hold. I am not sure where study of the Zohar stands at this point. Ellen was talking this morning about a possible trip to Philadelphia to visit friends, and also talking about getting serious about sorting through stuff and getting rid of stuff. There will be the Common Ground fair in late September. We hope to do some things with John and Cynthia. They are in fact coming over this evening for a potluck supper. The Davises are having a sing at their house on Friday evening. Savanna is going to spend some time with us this month. No doubt there will be some trips to Northampton. I am sure there will be no shortage of things to do!

Last evening I attended on Zoom a celebration of the retirement of Dr. Stephen Ray from his position as president of Chicago Theological Seminary. I have never met him in person, but feel that I have gotten to know him through Zoom sessions online. Among the guests that I saw was Laurel Schneider, who was one of my teachers 20+ years ago when I was pastor in residence at CTS. I enjoyed so much her course  on “womanist theology.” I greeted her and we had a little exchange via chat. 

When we were at the cottage in Maine, a seagull flew up and perched on the railing just outside the front door, and he posed for his portrait. I will let him send end-of-summer greetings to all of my viewers.

“Goodbye, Summer!”


No comments:

Post a Comment