Saturday, August 28, 2021

Farewell, Maine - for now!

                     Goodbye little cottage! 

Today, we are heading back home. The temperatures have cooled down, and driving is more comfortable without the AC. So we packed and said goodbye to our lovely little cottage, and we stopped at Jim and Mary‘s and got some vegetables from their garden, and headed south on Rte. 1. We will be back later in September for the Common Ground Fair. For a while, I thought there was going to be a conflict around that weekend. The Keuka College class of 1971 was having a 50th reunion that weekend, and I was invited to attend as the class advisor, back  in 1967, but all that has been postponed because of the new wave of COVID cases due to the Delta variant, so I’m free to go to Maine.

On our way south, Ellen decided to stop in Arundel, ME, to go to an antique store she remembered from years ago. It’s still exists! So that’s where she is right now. I went in and looked around, and saw this booth made up entirely of postcards, all organized by category. But Ellen wasn’t tempted. They are too expensive, and it would take too long look through them. As I walked around, I saw several other booths made up almost entirely of postcards. So there are thousands of postcards here. And I saw flyers advertising postcard festivals, where there would be millions of postcards for sale. That’s what it said. So I guess Ellen is not alone in her love for postcards. But I think her interest is different from that of the people who would go to those festivals.

A booth of vintage postcards

No comments:

Post a Comment