Saturday, August 28, 2021

Another little adventure

Last evening, we went out to eat at a dockside restaurant in Port Clyde, ME, which is where the most popular ferry to Monhegan Island is located. We put in our name and prepared for a bit of a wait before our name would be called for a table. There were picnic tables along the wharf where you could wait, and it was a lovely evening, so waiting was not a problem. I put my hiking poles down on the floor next to the railing, and wouldn't you know - one of them rolled off and fell into the water, about fifteen feet down - or more! It floated, thank goodness, but I helplessly watched as the tide carried it out. But I was not alone is seeing what had happened. A man standing nearby said, "I'll get my bathing suit and go in and get it!" "Oh, no, you don't have to do  that," I said, but he said. it would be no trouble. So he went to the car and got his bathing suit but by the time he had changed into it, the pole had gone under the next dock over. I thought it was sort of a lost cause, but he jumped in and got it! People watching above on the dock all applauded! I went down a gangplank and shook his hand and thanked him profusely. I learned that he was Scott Carpenter and summered in Liberty, ME. I offered to buy his dinner, but he assured me that that was not necessary - that he felt good doing a good deed, and that it had been a refreshing dip! So I let it go and thanked him again. It turned out that he and his wife were eating at the same place, and though they were seated long before we were (we waited well over an hour for a table), we ended up sitting near them, and said goodbye and wished them well as they left. A very nice man!


This is where it happened

Sunset during supper


No comments:

Post a Comment