Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Summer of 1951

Oh boy! 64 years ago! My job was to drive the truck that carried the housekeeping crew from cabin to cabin, and help clean out the cabins and make beds to get them ready for new occupants. There were scores of cabins to clean, scattered over a large mountainous area, which is why you needed a truck. So it was sort of a case of Larry and his harem. We were the only crew in the entire camp which was all female except for one guy - me. The truck was an old Model A Ford. Here we are:


Housekeeping crew, Association Camp, 1951. Yes, that's me in door of the cab.

I've just returned from a visit to the Camp museum. They were not officially open yet, but a kind volunteer let me in to look at photos, which were sort of in a state of disarray. But I found quite a few. 

Here's the entire staff group picture for 1951:

        Association Camp Staff - 1951

You can see Chapin, Chiquita and Ypsilon in the background. That hasn't changed. 

Here's the employees dining room, which no longer exists:


      Employees' Dining. Room - 1951

I remember eating prodigious amounts of food here, and also an occasional food fight. 

We got every 8th day off. That's when you could go climbing. Here I am with a group ready to go off on a hike:



And I guess this was a meeting of some sort:

             

No comments:

Post a Comment