Friday, May 29, 2015

More shed work

HToday, I had a pretty lazy morning, had a late breakfast on the deck - a beautiful cool morning - did some puttering and then got ready for a Hallowell sing. Five of us met at the Outlet Center near the I-91 Exit 1, and drove into Guilford to sing for a woman in her 90's who has advanced Alzheimer's. Music is so important for her. One song especially, May You See Diamonds, seemed to touch her. Her daughter and a caregiver were also there. We always feel so privileged to bring music into a home like that.

I drove to the Outlet Center and back (about 16 miles round trip) as a scofflaw. The old Subaru that I'm using while Ellen is away is uninspected. Too much rust. Runs well otherwise. So I took back roads as much as possible to avoid detection. It worked. 

Then when I got home I did more shed de-construction and hauled what was in the shed that I want to keep down under our deck temporarily to get it out of the rain. A big part of what I've been doing is pulling nails out of boards so I can cut them up for kindling. Since we often spread ashes from the wood stove on the driveway in the wintertime, it wouldn't do for the ashes to be full of nails, now would it? 

I've been banging things apart with a maul, and pulling nails with a claw hammer, so I 'm a little beat tonight. I made myself a big "eggy rice" (a rice and chopped up veggie pancake) for supper and watched the Friday evening news programs on PBS. Ellen will get home around midnight, she said. I'll be waiting and so happy to have her home again. 

                 Some of the stuff from out of the shed

No comments:

Post a Comment