Thursday, May 28, 2015

Shed clean-out

Today I spent much of the day clearing out the shed we're going to take down, and then deconstructing the shelving which I can use for kindling - perfect old, dry wood. This shed has a history. I am inordinately proud of the fact that I built it myself, and that at no time in the building process did I have the help of another person, or of any machinery or power tools . All done by hand. If you looked at it carefully you would say that's impossible, but it's true. I used a "come-along" a lot; in fact I used more than one. But that is a hand-tool. No other person or machine helped lift the large beams into place which form the skeleton of the structure. Did it myself. Did I say I was inordinately proud? You get the picture.

                      The shed 

These are the beams I'm talking about - the vertical one is a discarded telephone pole and the horizontal one is a tree trunk off our land. 

       Same deal on the other side

Ok, I'll confess that I used my truck to get the telephone pole from the roadside where it had been discarded by the power company up to the house. I didn't carry it by hand! I got permission from CVPS to take it, and I used a chain to tow it behind the truck for close to two miles! Yes! I did it very early in the morning when there was virtually no traffic. Actually, as I think about it, I may have brought one end of the pole into the truck bed and dragged the other end - like a traverse. Then when it was at the house I used a come-along to snake it up to the building site. Same with the tree trunks. I put the four vertical poles into sockets in the ground and pulled them vertical with a come along. Then I built a three- pole tepee over those posts and used a comealong suspended from that tepee to lift the horizontal tree trunks into place! No kidding!

To be continued! 

No comments:

Post a Comment