Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Stewart Letter #6

-->
 Here is the newly numbered Letter #6, which is incomplete because it was folded in a way that blocked part of the text when it was copied. Letter #7 which follows this (formerly #5) is in an earlier post -  June 30th.


Letter #6

July 27, 1944

Dear Dad,

The counselor at the testing bureau told me that my scores on the Social Science tests were high enough to allow them to tell me that I could choose whatever subject that I wished to major in, since they felt confident that I could succeed easily in almost anything. I have decided to work until the fall quarter begins, saving all my money in the meanwhile, and then go to the U for a year.  The Navy V-12 test will not be given until November, and those who take it then cannot go into the Navy until March, 1945, at which time the test will be given again. Therefore I am going to take the test in November just to see how I come out on it. Then I shall take it again in March, being able to go into the service in July. The test is a combined examination for V-12  and ASTP programs, and one lists his preferences at the time[i] ....
                                   (lost section)

... I hope that you can keep well despite the conditions which you are living under. I wish with all my heart that I could be with you.

                                                Your loving son,

                                                            Stewart


[i] At this point in time, it seems clear that Stewart was still considering various options for military service  (e.g., Army or Navy), and those options entailed various time-tables (e.g., going into the service the following summer or earlier). He was juggling a number of variables: tests, his physical exam, getting dental work done, earning money, etc. As it turned out, he went in earlier than the following July - he went into the ASTRP in November and was sent to college at U of Nebraska, Lincoln. 

No comments:

Post a Comment