Thursday, July 18, 2019

Settling in

I think we have had a fairly soft landing, coming back home. The first night (Monday), was a great sleeping temperature. Since then, it has been warmer and more humid, and I guess the coming weekend doesn't look too good. But so far, so good. We have been taking it pretty easy. Last night (Wednesday), we went to an informal concert at the Marlboro Music Festival which was great:   Bach Cantata # 97, In Allen Meinen Taten; a Brahms clarinet trio, The Lamentations of Saul by della Joio, and a Faurè Piano Quartet - a wonderful program. I did some errands yesterday, but mostly we've been at home, reading, puttering, watching a little TV. We've had a drippy faucet in the kitchen sink for months and I managed to fix it today! Yay!  The house did well in our absence, very little sign of mice, Zach mowed. Good to be home.  Tonight is a Hallowell rehearsal. Ellen feels she has a touch of a cold, so she is staying home. Tomorrow, I'll go see John. Gradually getting back into the swim of things.

Some photos from our last day on the road:

The McKinley Birthplace Memorial and Library, Niles, OH


Statue of President McKinley at the McKinley Memorial
Ellen hoped to get postcards here, but the museum was closed on Mondays. From Niles, OH, we took I-80 east, went up toward New York through Kane, PA, took I-86 to Binghampton and then I-88 to Albany, and then the Mass Pike to I-91 and home. Monday was a long driving day!

On the way past the Dummerston Church today I saw that things are happening! The steeple has been dismantled for repairs, and some painting is being done as well.


Pieces of the steeple have been brought down for repairs

The bereft steeple!

No comments:

Post a Comment