Sunday, July 7, 2019

Our last weekend

The decision is made - we are leaving tomorrow morning to head home. We will stretch out our trip from here to Bartlett. Normally it is a three-day trip, but we'll make it a five-day trip and hope to visit a couple of National Parks along the way, going up through Yellowstone, over the Beartooth Pass into Red Lodge, MT, on to the northern section of Theodore Roosevelt Park, then east to Minnesota and the day ferry to Isle Royale NP in Lake Superior, and then on to Bartlett, arriving Friday eve if all goes well. We'll see if that is actually doable!

Meanwhile, Tayson did come over Saturday afternoon, and he and Max had a good time. We went to KJs to get Little Caesar pizza for supper (very reasonable and good), which we ate sitting on the front porch; then after supper, Ellen and I took a drive up the McCoy road, thinking we might see wildflowers, but when we finally got to the place to walk, it was after sundown, the mosquitoes were out in force and drove us back into the car. So it was just a drive - but a pretty one (except for the dust - it's a gravel road and whenever we met a car, we were engulfed in dust.

Sunday morning, we started out watching the Women's World Cup; I left at the half to go to church at Star Valley United to say goodbye to Allan Schoonover, because he is retiring for real in September and moving  to Arizona, and I'll probably not see him again. I wanted him to know how much he has meant to me.

When I came back to the house, I saw the second half of the women's soccer game (it had been recorded) and of course, they defeated Netherlands 2-1 in an exciting game. Sunday afternoon I worked on Spelling Bee (thank you, Mary Tolles, for sending it by email), and I think I managed to finally get to genius. The three-pointer eluded me until the last gasp and then I wondered why I hadn't seen it right off! We did a wash and got things organized for packing. This evening we watched the second big soccer game - U.S./Mexico - and Mexico won, 1-0 in a disappointing game. The men looked  strong in the first half but sort of hapless in the second. So the women took home the honors today. I just cleaned up the kitchen and pretty soon will head for bed.

Max and Tayson

The view off the front porch

Late evening scenes on the McCoy Road

No comments:

Post a Comment