Monday, July 1, 2019

Ohmygosh, it's July!

It is July 1st! Summer is flying by! I'll have to confess that I am missing being at home at this time of year. Although, I was listening to New Hampshire Public Radio this morning (easy to do on the iPhone with the Public Radio app!), and I heard a forecast of temps in the 90s. Can't say I miss that! The weather here is gorgeous - it gets into the 50s or even the 40s at night, we sleep under two quilts, and daytime is sunny, cool, with low humidity, and usually a light breeze. Can't beat that. But still. . . .

This morning I was awake early, listening to the radio, but then I went back to sleep until 10a.m. Then I got up, fixed a smoothie and oatmeal, and ate breakfast on the front porch, comfortably in the shade. Later, when I opened my email Inbox, I found a letter from my seminary friend, Robb Lapp, telling me that our mutual seminary friend, Don Sevetson, is dying and in Hospice care. I haven't seen Don since I graduated in 1957, but he served in Appleton, WI just before I moved there in 1969, and later was a Conference Minister in the UCC on the Pacific Coast and in Hawaii for a time. So I took some time to reply to Robb, who I have seen more recently, but not for a few years. Robb and I attended the dedication of the new CTS building back in 2011 and Ellen and I visited him and his family in Arvada, CO in 2013.

A 2013 photo of  Ellen with Robb Lapp, his wife Jan (who has since passed away) and their great-granddaughter, Aubrey.

Since his wife's death, Robb has moved into a senior housing community in Arvada, where he is still actively involved in creating low-income housing communities through the UCC, something he has done much of his working life.

Back here in Alpine, Ellen is helping Max organize his bedroom; Paul is working on hooking up the washer/dryer, and I'm blogging!

Later:
Late this afternoon we watched The Professor and the Madman which is the amazing story of the formation of the Oxford English Dictionary.  The film is based on a book by Simon Winchester which I read years ago. The movie was much more intense than I remember the book being. The critics really have panned this film - it has had a checkered history in the making - but I would definitely give it two thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment