Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Exploring the neighborhood

This afternoon I took a walk in the new neighborhood. I started out walking toward the south which brought me pretty quickly to a very wide open area of sagebrush that looked out over to Melvin"s Brew Pub which is on the other side of the river. There is a house blocking the view of Melvin's from the upstairs bathroom window of the house, but from my vantage point in the field, I had a clear view of Melvin's looking south and then, turning around 180 degrees,  a partial view of Paul's house. Now I think the next time we go to Melvin's, I'll be able to orient myself to the house, which I could not do before.

Melvin's from the field across from Paul's house

You can see a piece of Paul's house (white Tyvek) behind the trees in the middle of this photo
Continuing across the field, I headed for what is called Old Alpine - a cluster of houses that were built a half-century ago or so, some little more than shacks, some seemingly abandoned, some fairly nice looking and lived in. Definitely a working-class neighborhood compared to other parts of Alpine. I found an unpaved lane that wended through this little settlement and made my way out to the main road.

A lane in Old Alpine

This house in Old Alpine seems to have been abandoned before it was finished. It is bigger than most.
When you come out onto the main road, things change fast. You are now near the Alpine airport, which is a private "airpark" serving millionaires and their private planes. There is a very ritzy neighborhood near the airport, called Alpine Village, where some of these millionaires live.

The entrance to Alpine Village with a view of the airport runway
Private planes
Then, when you walk a short distance past the airport, you are back in Paul's immediate neighborhood. So yes, we do hear airplanes. But it is not a heavily used airport. I don't mind the planes, but I think Paul does.

Paul's house is just right of center with his white pickup parked in the driveway. Two other houses are also in the building stage, and sheathed in Tyvek. The one on the left belongs to Rachael, an architect who asks Paul frequently about how to resolve specific building issues. The one immediately across from Paul - far right - is being built by a retired couple.
So that's the neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment