Saturday, November 6, 2021

Harry has arrived

Harry Kalish, our friend from Landsdown, PA, (Harry informs me that strictly speaking, it is Yeadon, PA) has arrived for a week's visit. He got in at about 10p.m. last night. WE all were lazy this morning, but this afternoon he and Ellen went to Green Mountain Orchards to pick apples with Eliza while I visited with John here at the house. Now they are stacking wood. I think Herry will prove to be very helpful in getting fall chores done. Yay! When Harry arrived I was clearing out some files. I had opened a rolling file cabinet that I haven't opened for months. Someone in the Guilford Church had asked me if I could lead a Taizé sing. I needed to get out some old Taizé services and that's where all the Taizè materials are filed. But there is a lot more in there I had not looked at and which needs to be cleared out at some point. One such file is labeled "TA/FLAP." That goes back to 1975-1977 when I worked at the Experiment in International Living as Director of the Teacher Ambassador and Foreign Language Assistant Programs. These were programs that brough teachers and college-age language assistants to work in U.S. schools. I could go on for pages about those programs, but suffice it to say that they were very interesting and I met some wonderful people. The best part was Orientaton period in August when the teachers would come to the EIL campus and we would get to know them and train them in the ways of U.S. schools. We had a group of teachers from Europe, Africa, Asia, Latin America - all over the world. Like a mini United Nations. It was fascinating. There were photos in the file: here are four:
At age 43 or so in the dining hall
Ditto, with a group of Teacher Ambassadors
On our deck - Betsey as a teen-ager in foreground. My colleague, Helen Seidler, is at left. The other two are Teachers Ambassadors.
Me, Shirley and John at a TA/FLAP event.

No comments:

Post a Comment