Monday, November 22, 2021

Doing better

Well, here it is Monday evening, and I am feeling better. My temperature has been normal since Friday evening and I do not feel so ach y. I am tryingto build up some stamina, because I feel sort of weak and out-of-shape, so I walked 500 paces r.t. yesterday and 600 today. I will gradually build up to 2000 paces r.t and I plan to go back to the pool next Mondsay and get bck into exercise there on a regular basis. I will get my booster shot next Friday. We'll have Thanksgiving with Katie and Savanna and another Thanksgiving Saturday with John and Cynthia. I will gradually get back into the swim of things. I don't think I had COVID. Being home for the past four days, I've had lots of time for reading, so I knocked off Jonathan Franzen's Crossroads. It is over 600 pages. but I read fast. I found it interesting - it is right up my alley because it's about a minister and his family in a mid-western church in the same tradition as the UCC (Reformed CHurch), and a lot of things in it certainly resonated with my experience. But I realized as I put it down at the end that I had not really developed an affection for any of the characters in it. I don't know if Franzen intentionally created sort of unattractive characters, of if that is just my take on it. It is supposdly the first in a trilogy, so the question will be, do we care anough about these people to follow them through two more big volumes? I'm not sure, but I would say probably "yes."
Crossroads
Jonathan Franzen

No comments:

Post a Comment