Monday, November 1, 2021

A visit with Deborah and Phil

I had the opportunity today to visit Deborah McKean - the first time I have seen her since well before the COVID pandemic began. Probably the last time was at the Common Ground Fair in September, 2019. Deborah has Alzheimer's and is now a resident at Quarry Hill Residential Center in Camden, Maine, about a 1/2 hour drive from Jim and Mary's place in Owl's Head. I met Phil there this morning at 11a.m. I was a little late because there was an unexpected detour due to construction. I got a call from Phil about five mintues before I arrived but couldn't answer it because I was driving, and then couldn't get him when I pulled over and called back. So when I got to Quarry Hill I wasn't sure whether he was there yet or not. But then I saw a Volvo that looked like his and when I inspected it closely, saw Mt. Holyoke College and Williams College stickers - Deborah's and his alma maters, so I knew he was there. When you went in, you had to (1) be masked; (2) use hand sanitizer, (3) let a machine take your temp, (4) take one of their masks and put it on, and (5) sign in, which inluded answering the usual COVID questions. Phil met me and took me to Deborah's room. Her face lit up when she saw me - so I feel pretty sure she recognized me - at least as someone she knew. Phil had brought her a fruit smoothie and served her small amounts to drink while we talked. She drank it all! I wanted to show her a photo of herself and SHirley taken at Shirley's ordination, but it was on the computer out in the car. Phil said they would let me go get it without having to go through the whole process again, so I did. And in fact, her face lit up again when she saw the photo. Then, with Shirley looking on from the computer, Phil and I sang several hymns for Deborah - e.g., Morning Has Broken, Dear Lord and Father of Mankind, and Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee. She really seemed to enjoy that little concert, and when we finally took her to lunch in the dining-hall, and we said goodbye, she said, "I'm sorry you have to leave." So I felt it was a very successful visit, and I am so glad I went.
Deborah and me at Quarry Hill**************************************** Afterward, Phil picked up a sandwich at a nearby restaurant, and we headed down to Rockport harbor, where there is a little park. We sat on a bench in the sun, ate lunch and had a lovely visit. It was a beautiful fall afternoon, a little breezey, but still warm in the sun, and a fabulous setting. The site had been made famous almost 50 years ago by Harry Goodridge and André the Seal: Harry was the harbormaster in Rockport and this is where they would hang out together over a period of many years, and people would come and watch them. Eventually a movie was made about them and after Andrè died in 1986, a memorial statue was erected to commemorate him.
Three views from where we sat to eat our lunch.
Our little lunch: a haddock sandwich which we split, coleslaw, chips, and a drink
Harry Goodridge and Andrè
Andrè the Seal statue
Me with Andrè
Phil by the harbor We will have another bit of time with Phil tomorrow when we meet at the Farnsworth Museum. When I came home, Ellen was taking a walk so I went down to look at the beach cottage where we spent a few days just a couple of months ago. Big changes! The new owners have removed virtually all the shrubs around the cottage, and also around the cottages above it - everything looks much bleaker. The cottage felt sort of secluded before, but not now.
The way it looks now above the cottage - the owners have cut down all the shrubs and put down plastic to discourage them growing back.
All the shrubs beside the cottage are gone! They used to provide some privacy, but now everything is out in the open.

No comments:

Post a Comment