Thursday, November 4, 2021

Found!

In a previous post, I asked for help in identifying the following painting:
I did not hear from anyone, but I thought of another way of finding out its origin. I felt there must be a way to search the internet with this image, and in fact there is. I just had to download Google Chrome. With that application, it is possible to search for images, rather than text. I did, and got a surprise. The poster I had gotten from the Museum in Regensburg was just half of a painting. The full painting is by Albrecht Altdorfer, and is titled, Die Beiden Johannes ("The Two Johns), from the year 1517. It is in fact a portrait of John the Apostle and John the Baptist. The half which comprised the above poster is John the Baptist. Below is the full painting. I was right in identifying the venue as the Island of Patmos. It is unusual, I think, to have brought these two figures into the same place because historically, they were not both alive when John the Apostle was composing the Book of Revelations on the Island of Patmos. But in fact, they were both considered patrons of the St. Katharina Hospital in Regensburg where this painting originated. It 1931 it was loaned to the Altepinakotek in Munich, but in 1968 it was returned to Regensburg to the City Museum, where it can be seen today. So that little mystery is solved.
Albrecht Altdorfer's "Die Beiden Johannes" (1517)*********************************** Having the ability to search images, I looked for this painting, which was another poster in the group I took to Experienced Goods:
I was pretty sure I had gotten this at the Dartmouth College Library, and I was right about that. But I could not identify the artist or the subject of the painting. A quick search provided the answer. It is THE EPIC OF AMERICAN CIVILIZATION: THE COMING OF QUETZALCOATL (PANEL 5) by José Clemente Orozco, Mexican (1883 - 1949) and it is displayed in the Baker Library at Dartmouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment