Friday, April 10, 2015

Our first day of helping

So here's the story. When Betsey wakes up, Rob has already left to go to the gym - he does that at about 5:30a.m. So Betsey texts us (!) on our cell phone next to our bed in the downstairs bedroom. That is the signal for us to get up and get breakfast. This morning Ellen made breakfast and took it up to Betsey for her to eat in bed. I got up and got dressed and made a smoothie for myself - this first it wasn't very smooth because I used their big Oster blender, and when I tried to put whey powder in I spilled some on the counter and when I moved the blender to clean the counter, I accidently hit the "on" button (not being used to their blender), and since the lid wasn't on the blender yet, whey powder went all over the place! I later learned from Betsey that there is a small, single glass blender that I can use in the future. But when I had my smoothie, I went up and talked with Betsey while she ate and now we are getting ready to take her to work.

Later: We got Betsey to work and now we are at Alfalfa's, a wonderful whole food store with a very nice cafe. We are picking her up at 12:15pm to take her to a 1pm doctor's appointment.

Working out wrinkles - e.g., my cell phone doesn't have service here at Alfalfa's - I guess ATT doesn't reach here for some reason (seems odd) - but I was just able to send and receive a text message to Betsey. I do have WiFi here (compliments of Alfalfa's) , so I guess the Message app is using WiFi. But when we are in the car, it must be using my cell phone service, because we sure don't have WiFI when we are traveling in the car, but "Message" works in the car. The other mystery is that according to my Consumer Cellular "usage report" ( I have a contract with CC for phone, texting and data - they use the ATT network),  I have made "0" text messages this month. But in fact, I have made scores of them. So when I use the "Message" app on my iPhone, I am not using my text service under Consumer Cellular. So what am I using?  I don't quite understand how that works.

Betsey feels that she is gaining strength in her left hand. For a while she could not use it at all, and her fingers were completely clenched. Now she can voluntarily open her fingers part way, raise her arm, and turn her hand over - something she could not do a few days ago! She thinks the cyst is shrinking, thus reducing pressure on the motor strip. This could affect whether she has surgery in two days to put a catheter into the cyst. If the cyst is shrinking "naturally" surgery may not be needed. She will have another MRI Wed. a.m., and that will tell the story.

Still later:  We successfully got Betsey to her 1pm MD appointment, and to some lab work she needed to have done right after that, and then to home. She brought some work home with her from the office, but right now, she's watching the Masters Golf Tournament, which has been taped so as not to  miss any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment