Saturday, April 18, 2015

Betsey's report

Here is a report that Betsey sent out to folks:
 
Greetings friends:

I know many of you are eager to hear a report, so here you go ...
As many of you know, I had surgery on 4/15 to place a catheter inside the growing cyst that is actually inside the tumor. The tumor itself is inside my right brain motor strip, so the cyst and area inflammation have been impacting my mobility on the left side, as in, I have been partially paralyzed in my left arm and hand for about six weeks. There has been some impact on the left leg and foot, and I have needed help with walking.
I had an MRI Wed morning, and my surgeon Dr Lillehei decided to go ahead with the procedure. The actual surgery was fine; they had to make two passes instead of one to get the catheter into the cyst, causing more inflammation, but now I'm all set up and the cyst can be drained if it starts to fill up again. Dr L reported he drained 4ccs of fluid; I haven't seen the latest images, but I think the words "flat as a pancake" we're used :)
 However, waking me from general anesthesia was not straightforward, and for me it was a traumatic event. There were respiratory issues, and that night of the five Respiratory Therapists in neurosurgery, four were out sick. We had to wait an hour and a half for the intubation tube to be removed, fluid suctioned, and put me on oxygen. When it finally came, blessed relief!
So I am fine, resting comfortably at home, but I am exhausted. Recovery will take some time.

Meanwhile, mobility has not come flooding back as I might have dreamed. They evaluated where I was before discharging me on Thursday (just one night in ICU !) and we agreed that post-surgery I was at my "baseline" that is, almost exactly where I was pre-surgery, except a little weaker from added inflammation. So even with the cyst drained, I will need to focus on my OT/PT exercises, and be diligent!  The next phase of the battle begins!

Thank you all so much for your thoughts, prayers, positive energy, love and support. You have lifted me up so that I am still battle ready!


With love and gratitude,
Betsey

P. S. The next round of higher dose chemo will be 4/29 through 5/3. Please be thinking of me :) that battle continues as well !




Last night after a delicious supper prepared by Ellen, we all watched Danny Kaye in Knock on Wood - expecting a lot of laughs. Betsey loves to laugh!  I had remembered it as being a very funny movie, and it did have some very funny scenes, but it also had some that were supposed to be funny, but weren't very, and then a lot of other things as well! So much for memory!


No comments:

Post a Comment