Thursday, April 23, 2015

Computer sequel

I have established pretty firmly now that the computer works fine at, e.g. the Alpine Library, but doesn't want to work at all in Paul's house. Why this should be, I do not know. Paul and Jenny have a laptop, and it works fine. But it isn't a Mac. Maybe there is something in the air here that does not like a Mac!

Anyway, it's a cause for concern. This trip, I did not bring my external hard drive with me. I meant to, but forgot. We were under a time constraint leaving the morning of the day after Easter, which had been packed so full from early morning till late at night, so I didn't think of everything. I've been worried that if the computer did fail, it wouldn't be backed up. Thus I decided to go to Jackson today and get another external hard drive. They are a pretty good deal - $99 for 1000 GB  (1 terabyte). So Ellen and I went to Jackson after lunch, and she dropped me at the Simply Mac store while she did some errands. I hoped I could back up the entire hard drive while I waited, but it became clear that it was going to take two hours or even three, and Ellen needed to get back to start supper, so I interrupted the backup. I can finish it tomorrow at the Library. I'll feel a little easier then because I'll know that if these computer issues prove to be internal, like a failing hard drive or logic board, I won't lose everything. 

This evening I watched the Boston Celtics and the Cleveland Cavaliers in their 3rd playoff game. I've never been interested in the NBA, but for some reason the Celtics have caught my eye. I think Jim Tolles contributed to that. He's a Celtics fan and we watched a game when we last visited there. The Celtics are in a building mode. Several new players. A younger group. One of their players is a former Tar Heel - Tyler Zeller - who I like. They are definitely the underdogs against the Cavs who are just HUGE -  LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love - good grief. The Celtics star shooter, Isaiah Thomas, is only 5'9" - he looks like a midget on the court. The game tonight was as exciting as any NBA game I have ever seen. The Celtics were playing their hearts out; really scrappy. They even led briefly, but the Cavs were just too big and too talented. The Celtics lost in front of their home crowd, and are now down 0-3 in the series. One more loss on Sunday and they are out of the playoffs. But they made it a good game.

I walked the hill again this evening after supper, saying the Betsey mantra. The hill didn't seem as steep - maybe I 'm finally adjusting to the altitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment