Thursday, June 3, 2021

The Winter family album

Here are a few more photos I have scanned onto my computer from the WInter family album. I've just had a physical therapy appointment for my shoulders - I seem to be gaining greater flexibility, which is encouraging. Last night was the last session on William Faulkner, led by a retired professor at Swarthmore, Phil Weinstein. What a great teacher! Both Ellen and I feel we have gained so much from that course. We have become fans of Faulkner, despite the challenges posed by his writing - or maybe because of them! I feel a particular gratitude for the course because my father's roots were in the South and Faulkner takes one deep into the culture and soul of the South. It is in many ways a tragic story and one that is still playing out in so many ways today. So - here are two photos:
First, my mother's immediate family: l. to r., Clarence, my younger uncle; Juliana, my grandmother; Olga, my mother; Julia, my aunt; and Julius, my older uncle. I don't know when or where this picture was taken, but I am guessing it was in the 1930s, in Canton, Ohio, which was the Winter family home after they emigrated to the U.S. from Germany. It might have been taken at the occasion of the funeral of my grandfather, August Winter, in 1934. That would have been one of the few times the siblings were together.
Julius was married to Anna and they had three children, Elsie, Herb and Ruth. Here are the three children on the running-board of a beautiful old car. Ruth, the youngest, is on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment