Monday, June 19, 2023

Juneteenth

Today is a special day in two respects: (1)it is a Federal Holiday commemorating the actual realization of freedom of African-Americans from slavery set in motion by the Emancipation Proclamation, and (2) it is Ellen's and my 18th wedding anniversary. Under the circumstances, we are not doing anything special today to celebrate our anniversary, except that Ellen and I did take a walk together late this morning - that was unusual. But she left shortly after that with Brendon to meet Krystal at the movie mall in Amherst to see The Little Mermaid,and then she and Brendon were going to Baystate to see Savanna. I think Karen and Brian are picking up Brendon and bringing him home, and later, Ellen will come back and the three of us will go up to our home in Dummerston, and Brendon will spend the night there with us. I will stay there, and as I understand it, Jim and Mary will join me there later on Tuesday. I have not been home in Vermont since Thursday morning. There is a good chance that Savanna will be moved to a residential Hospics Home this week. That may make things easier; we'll see. It would be closer than Baystate - that much we know. Meanwhile, I am at the house in Shutesbury alone. I just had a good talk with John. Things have been quiet, otherwise.
The Juneteenth couple **********

Opal Lee, the "grandmother" of Juneteenth. Opal Lee, in her late '80's, walked 1400 miles, from Texas to the White House, to advocate for June 19th to be a federal holiday. Today, she is 96 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment