Thursday, June 29, 2023

Amazing!

Something seems to be going on with Savanna that is amazing. She seems to be getting better. She seems to be in less pain. I was quite amazed to arrive yesterday and found her with Ellen and Katie sitting outside! She was wearing a straw sun hat with a big pink flower and looked quite perky. Look at this:
Savanna out in the garden!************************************ She had to come inside not long after I got there, not because she was tired, but because a thunderstorm came up. The CNAs wheeled her in slick as you please, and used a hoyer lift to transfer her from the chair to her bed with no discomfort whatsoever:
Savanna being moved indoors to her bed so easily!************************************** While I was waiting for her to be settled in, I noticed that just outside her door was a little lending library, and some art work. Fisher Home has thought of everything!
Books and art work. *************************** i don't think I've mentioned that Ellen and I went to a funeral service for a staff person at Families First an organization that works with people with cognitive disabilities. Her name was Patricia, or "Trish." We have three members of our congregation who are active in Families First: Katherine Breunig, Emma Davis and Josh. FF has enriched their lives tremendously. We went to sing with Hallowell, which sang three songs at the service: "Farthest Field," "Love Call Me Home," and "Angels Hov'ring 'Round," all standards in our repertoire. The service itself was informal and allowed anyone to speak who wanted to, and many did. Patricia was obviously very much loved, and her death, the circumstances of which were not explained, was tragic. So it was an emotional sevice. The service was held at the Unitarian Church, called the West Village Meeting House, a place that decades ago was almost like a second home for me - the Brattleboro Music Center held many concerts there, I frequently sang there, i often preached there. I was friends of the minister, Peter Denny, and for a while, when I was writing a book, ("The Caring Manager" - it never got published) he lent me his study to use early in the morning because he had writing software on his computer I didn't have (this was 35 years ago! It was before Microsoft "Word" had been created). AS I recall, I got up at five a.m. and biked there! So I used to go there often, but lately I haven't been there at all. I don't think I've been there since COVID started. Anyway, it was nice to be there and see it again, and to sing there.
The West Village Meeting House. At bottom, Bert and Harriet Tepfer (members of Hallowell) are coming out (and I think they are sort of hiding Calvin). For years, Bert Tepfer was my wonderful cardiologist. But he retired. No one like him exists, so I miss him a lot as a cardiologist, but enjoy singing with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment