Thursday, June 15, 2023

A fluid situation

We are living now in a situation which is very fluid, constantly changing. Last night, we stayed in Shutesbury, got up this morning and drove with Krystal to the Enterprise Rental car agency in Brattleboro where we rented a car for Krystal to use for the next week. She is moving out from the house here, and will be living with her former pastor in S. Deerfield for a week. She says she will fly back home to California next week. After arranging for the car, we went home to our house, repacked, Ellen made some food for supper, and we came back to Shutesbury. Ellen was expecting to find the red Prius here so that she could drive to Bay State Hospital to relieve Katie so that she could come home, have supper, and go to a choral rehearsal at First Church, Amherst. But when we arrived, there was no red Prius. That means Brendon has it somewhere. So Ellen has to drive to Bay State in our car, which means taking it on to the Interstate in fast, heavy traffic, which we have not wanted to do. But there is no choice. So I am here at the house, and I will be putting supper in the oven at 5:00p.m. It has been like this all this week. Some days we have driven home at 11p.m. at night, getting home after midnight. We are managing to "roll with the punches" pretty well. Meanwhile, Savanna has been moved to palliative care at Bay State, but plans are afoot to either move her into a residential Hospice facility nearby, or bring her home. Bringing her home would probably not be possible unless they can do some things that would simplify her care. That remains to be seen. So, that is what I mean by a fluid situation. There are many uncertanties, things don't always go according to plan and we need to be able to make quick changes to accommodate new situations. It will probably be that way until Savanna is settled somewhere. And even then, there will be uncertainties for sure. But maybe not so much hour by hour. *************************** I found this photo on the counter:
Savanna and Brendon, about 17 years ago or so! ************************** LATER Talk about fluid! I got a call a bit ago from Brendon. He was in Greenfield, MA - about a 1/2 hour from here. He said he had turned on the Prius and it had shown a warning that something was wrong with the electrical system, and it was making "funny noises." I suggested that he call Tye, who lives in Greenfield, and she could pick him up, and I would see if I could find someone who is familiar with the Prius (which I am not - at all). About the same time, I had a text from Ellen, who had gotten to the hospital okay, but things had taken a "hard turn" there. I talked with Dusty and Dorothy, Karen and Brian (all friends of K&S), and then heard back from Brendon- he had managed to drive to a very close-by Toyota dealership, Tye was picking him up and would bring him home. The car would be held at Toyota overnight. Meanwhile, since I had no car and Ellen had asked me to do some shopping, I asked Karen and Brian to do it, which they happily did. Meanwhile, things got better with Savanna - I guess she was unresponsive for a while, but then "woke up." K&B delivered the groceries, Tye brought Brendon home and I fed him supper (I ate earlier). Lots of calls and texts, but I guess everything is okay at the moment. Katie gave up on her rehearsal, I guess, and is staying at the hospital tonight. I hope it is a quiet night. I expect to see Ellen later this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment