Monday, June 26, 2023

Another round

We are back in Shutesbury for another round with Savanna. Everything is easier with her being so much closer to home, but Savanna herself is experiencing bouts of cognitive aphasia. Katie still needs our help and support. And it is good to have someone here for Brendon. So to keep myself occupied, I brought two "projects," one relating to my life and one relating to Frederick B. Tolles, Ellen and Katie's father. I have in the works the printing/publication of a book about FBT titled An Untold Story. See an earlier blog post dated "Monday, June 12th." I would like to add to that book a DVD that would be inside the back cover and would contain copies of FBT's published articles and book reviews, of which there are c. 200 altogether. They are all listed in the book, but I think it would be very nice if the reader could easily read an article or review that interested them. I already have close to 100 articles/reviews on the computer. They need to be organized into folders and indexed. Then I need to decide if I want to take the time to hunt down the ones I am missing. I can find a lot through JSTOR (an academic archive), but as I recall, JSTOR does not include some of the lesser-known Quaker periodicals that FBT published in - I think they are considered "religious," or "denominaional," not "academic." or "scholarly." But anyway, that is a fairly large project. I am going to attach one of FBT's book reviews, a particularly interesting one, I think.
The other praoject involves transcribing a journal I kept back in 1997-1998. Those two years were huge years in my life - the first led up to Shirley's and my retirement from the Guilford Church, and the second includes Shirley's death and its aftermath in my life. Painful reading, but also very pertinent to what is going on right now in my life. It is a pretty big journal - 8 1/2 x 11" in size and pretty thick. So that will be a big project too. I probably will not finish either of these projects this week, but that's okay.
The cover and first paragraph of the 1997-98 journal. **********++++++
A garden sitting area at Fisher Home - very nice. *************************** LATER I returned a few minutes ago from being at the Fisher Home. Most of the time I was sitting in the hall while others were with Savanna. She was having a busy day, and I didn't want to tire her. But at one point, it was just Karen Lederer and me there - Ellen had gone home and Katie and Brian (Karen's husband) had gone out to get something to eat. So I went in and talked with Savanna a bit and then showed her a video of Brendon SInging "My Way" at his graduation ceremony - which she enjoyed seeing and hearing. However, there was one very odd thing - I connected my computer to the TV with an HDMI cable, and Karen "sourced" it on the TV remote, and, sure enough, there was the button-box desk-top picture that I see on my computer screen - so obviously it was picking up a signal from my computer. But even though it was the photo that I use for my desk-top, it was not actually my desk-top. When I played the video of Brendon, the TV continued to display the button-box photo, while I was seeing Brendon on my computer screen. How could that be? After that, Brian brought me home and Ellen and Brendon and I are about to eat supper. BTW, the word "about" was the answer to today's "Wordle" puzzle, and I got it on guess # 2. My first guess was "cares" and so I got a yellow "a" on the first line, and I guessed "about" for my second guess, and that was it! Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment