Thursday, September 15, 2022

Unexpected developments!

Our original plan had been to leave Bartlett this morning and head for Swarthmore, PA, taking a more southernly route through Ohio into Pennsylvania south of Pittsburg and then on to the Pennsylvania Turnpike. We were going to stay at Sarah and Harry's Friday and Saturday night and head for home on Sunday. But something happened to change all that. Last evening, Jerry began to feel sick. He had a fever and was coughing. I suggested that he test for COVID and he did - and he tested positive. We had not been wearing masks so we were all exposed. That made a visit to Swarthmore unwise, even though thus far, we feel no symptoms. Sarah agreed. So now we are heading to Vermont. We did honor our decision to never again have to deal with the maze of interstate highways in Chicago, so we went south and west from Bartlett, went back pretty much the way we came from St. Louis, going down IL Rte. 47 to Dwight, and then turning east into Indiana, thereby avoiding the Chicago Metropolitan Area entirely. We worked our way up to Walkerton, IN, on Route U.S. 6, which is very familiar territory for us. When we came to Nappanee, we found a street fair in progress - the Nappanee Apple Festival. So we stopped, looked around a bit and I got a hot dog, and Ellen found two apple turnovers for us. We saw quite a few Amish people and horses and buggies - this is very close to Goshen, IN, which is the center of the Amish horse and buggy business. If I wanted to buy a horse and buggy (which I considered about 14 years ago at the time of the gulf oil spill), that's where I would go. But I guess I would have to truck them home - I doubt that I would ride the buggy from Indiana to Vermont (though that would be very interesting!). But at this stage of our lives, a horse and buggy is not really practical. I still think that for a lot of people, it could be workable - an alternative to fossil fuel that could live alongside electric cars, I should think. Not for everyone, for sure, but they seem to work ok alongside cars in Indiana. Why not elsewhere? We kept going into Ohio, and tonight we are in Wauseon, OH in a Rodeway Inn. This is not as far as we usually get, but our route around Chicago took longer. We'll probably spend one more night on the road and get home on Saturday.
A piece of the street fair.
An apple fest sculpture.
Three young Amish women in their traditional dresses and bonnets.************************************** Before Jerry got sick yesterday, we (Suzie, Dennis, Ellen and myself) visited Peter and Lori to see their new house in Algonquin. Peter himself was not doing well, but he said he wanted a distraction. He is dealing with both an infection and a clot in his right foot. He is on both blood-thinners and a powerful antibiotic, but his doctor said that if he wasn't better by today, he would have to go into the hospital and get antibiotics via IV - a powerful infusion. And we heard today that that is exactly what has happened. So Peter, we are sending you healing energy! We got a tour, and very much admired their new home, which is just a few minutes from Rachael, Brendon and the grandchildren. They are in a very attractive neighborhood.
A new garage door - the envy of the neighborhood!
Peter and Lori's new living-room, looking into the dining-room.
Ellen, Peter, Suzie, Lori and Dennis in the backyard.
The front of Peter and Lori's new house. ****************************** Earlier in the day, Ellen drove me to Schaumburg, IL to a cannabis dispensery, where I got a cannister of gummies that help with sleep. They were originally recommended by Roger Hull - he chews a half-gummy each evening. I got some for myself and they have really helped with sleep. I was running out, but I also wanted to give some to Jerry, because today is his birthday. He is 80 years old today! So I went to this dispensery in Schaumburg. I took with me the package for the gummies I got in Oregon to see if I could match that. They did not have that same brand, but they had some that were similar, so I got two cannisters, one for me and one for Jerry. I gave it to him this morning and he seemed pleased. I hope they help you sleep better, brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment