Wednesday, July 21, 2021

A surprise visit

Monday, I had my physical therapy session from 10am to 11am and then in the late afternoon, we went  up to Marlboro to hear a rehearsal of J. S. Bach's Cantata #170, Vergnügte Ruh, beliebte Seelenslust, scored for mezzo-soprano, oboe d'amore, violin 1 and 2, viola, cello, bass and organ. It is a beautiful cantata, with a  very provocative lyric, and a lot of contrast in tone and emotion. The "blessed rest" which provides the title is actually in sharp contrast to the hateful and sinful world which the believer perceives all around herself, a world which has sold out completely to Satan. So hateful is this world that the believer would like to leave it as soon as possible and join Jesus in heaven, where "blessed rest" will be complete. This is typical of the Pietism of Bach's day but not in synch with the prevailing theology of today's mainline church which would emphasize the need to work for love and justice in the world, not just let it go to hell and find personal comfort and salvation. But it makes for a powerful and beautiful cantata!

The soloist was a young woman, Rebecca Printz, who is a graduate of the Oberlin College Conservatory, Univ. of Cincinnati Conservatory and the BU Opera Institute. She has also had two seasons at Tanglewood. A very fine voice! 

Rebecca Printz

Tuesday, I had another PT session and then came home, so that Ellen could go to Northampton with the grandkids.  I stayed home and rested before having a Hallowell sing at 4:30pm - Calvin was picking me up at 3:50pm. I was lying on the bed when I heard voices outside the back door - very uncommon! I looked out and was astounded to see the  face of my grandniece, Rachael Costello, and quickly I realized her entire family was there: Brandon and the four children. How could this be? They live in suburban Chicago! I invited them in and learned that they were on a somewhat hastily arranged trip to Boston and points betweenL e.g., Niagra Falls and the Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame.  They had not had time to warn me, so they just came by hoping to find me at home. Fortunately, I was! They had knocked on the front door and gotten no response. I may have been dozing. So they came around the back. We had a lovely visit and then all of a sudden, we heard a car - it was 3:50pm and Calvin had arrived! So we hastily brought things to an end. Brandon took a picture and we said goodbyes and I was on my way.  The Hallowell sing was my first since early 2020, and it was extra-special because we were singing for Phyllis M., whose husband, Joe, was Shirley's and my colleague back at Windham College in 1974-75 when we were in the Dean of Students office. That went very well. Calvin brought me home and Ellen arrived just minutes after I did. 

Today I had PT and we went back to Marlboro to hear Bach again, and then to an appt. with Dr. Greene, my neurologist. That went well, and now I'm at the Dummerston Church while Ellen is at Dutton's farm stand.Tomorrow we go to the lake where Katie, Savanna and Brendon are in a cottage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment