Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Old CTS friends

Today, the Chicago Theological Seminary hosted a half-hour ZOOM session featuring Prof.  Ken Stone, Prof. of Old Testament. He talked about a neglected feature of the OT - the Psalms of Lament. Here is an example from Psalm 22:

12   Many bulls encircle me,
    strong bulls of Bashan surround me;
13 they open wide their mouths at me,
    like a ravening and roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water,
    and all my bones are out of joint;
    my heart is like wax;
    it is melted within my breast;
15 my mouth is dried up like a potsherd,
    and my tongue sticks to my jaws;
    you lay me in the dust of death.
16 For dogs are all around me;
    a company of evildoers encircles me.
    My hands and feet have shriveled;[b]
17 I can count all my bones.
    They stare and gloat over me;
18 they divide my clothes among themselves,
    and for my clothing they cast lots.

These psalms feel very "right" for the present situation. Some end on a note of praise to God, but many end in despair. There is an authenticity in allowing that. There are a  lot of people today who have little or no reason to hope, and we need to respect that, listen, be available.

Scores of people participated in this session and I recognized about 6 or so from my years as Pastor-in-Residence back in 1999-2001. I had to adjust to their appearance -  it's been 20 years! - but I recognized them and it was great to see them.  There will be a session every Wednesday noon. Next week will be led by Joanne Terrell, who taught a course I took back in 1999. So I hope to plug in next week too.

We got our TV reception back today. Yay! New Hampshire PBS has finished work on their transmitter and it is back on. It was a sunny day, and I re-scanned for stations and Voila! five came up.  Ellen can watch cooking shows again!

Hope all my readers are staying Safe and Well!




No comments:

Post a Comment