Wednesday, April 22, 2020

CTS Wednesday Zoom session

Today, I participated in a zoom session with the Chicago Theological Seminary community which is held every Wednesday. Today the guest speaker was the Rev.  John Thomas, member of the faculty at CTS and the former president of the United Church of Christ. He invited us to think of the coronavirus pandemic as a “humiliation” in the sense of the root meaning of the word which is “earth” or “humus.” The pandemic is an experience of being “grounded.” I.e., being  brought down to earth to appreciate what is really important. I thought that was a very suggestive and provocative way of thinking about things, and it parallels some thoughts that I’ve been having. The session was “chaired” by Dr. Stephen Ray, who is president of the seminary. I enjoyed it.

Dr. Stephen Ray

Rev. John Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment