Monday, August 26, 2019

Stewart Letter #9


  Here is the next letter in the Stewart series. He is still at home, waiting for a 2nd physical exam for the Army (after they found a broken bone in his ankle in the first exam  - six months old and not fully healed).                                                                

 
September 10, 1944
Dear Dad,

            Just to be sure when I could take my physical over again, I went to down to the Federal Offices Building and asked the man who took care of my mental examination. He said that I was not eligible for re-examination until Oct. 22 and since I want to get my dental work done at the U dental college, and there is nothing else to interfere, I am going to wait until then and take it over again then, since I will be able to pass it then instead of starting in at the U Oct. 2. I am planning to do a lot of reading in the next few weeks since I will have so much time for it. Already I have read The Undertow by E. E. Knowles,[i]  and I have read over half of Lincoln Steffins autobiography, starting from the beginning.[ii]

            Mother has not yet received the hundred dollars you sent at the beginning of August.  She has received the regular check, however.
           
            The first two terms of ASTP reserve training are the same for ERC and ACER members, but at the end of the second twelve weeks or at the beginning of the third term, the courses are divided between those who are members of the ACER, those in the ERC who were chosen in the second term for premedical training , and those chosen for engineering training. I am going to try very hard to be chosen for pre-medical training, for I would prefer that to the others. Of course, you understand, this training does not assure me of being allowed to participate in the ASTP in the regular army, but it gives me a better chance for having had the extra training. I must trust to my own ability in hoping to continue in the regular army, and, by the way, I probably will be in line for induction even though the war is over, because after the November election, it is likely that a law will be passed to draft young men as they graduate from high school to replace those that have been in the army for many years.

            Fall has come at last, although the weather has not changed perceptibly in acknowledgement of it. Larry has started at Marshall, taking up where I left off.[iii] Choir practice will begin again Wednesday night. and it is a good thing, because my throat has been getting sore every time I had to sing two or three verses of a hymn, simply because  I am not used to it.

            In just four years I will be able to vote in the national election, and I will, no doubt, be vitally interested by that time; of course, I am interested now, but not quite as vitally as adults, since I cannot vote, and I am busy getting my education.

            I believe that the American public should go on in their work as if the war were sure to last in Germany at least two more years, and then it would probably end much sooner than they are speculating, for, if we cannot think about Victory without becoming slack in our duty, then we have no right to think about it, even though this is just about the only country in the world where we can be slack and still win a hard war.

            I know that I will hardly be able to wait until you can tell the full story of what you are now experiencing. There are, no doubt, many others who are having experiences just as interesting, but these are happening to you, and therefore we are extremely interested.

            Do as much as you can to keep well with all the means at your disposal.

                                                            Your loving son,
                                                                        Stewart


[i] The Undertow was published  in 1906 by Robert E. Knowles (not E. E. ) who was at that time described as "Canada's most famous novelist." It was his second novel, the first being St. Cuthbert's. He was a Presbyterian minister. He died in 1946. The Undertow seems to be available online as an e-book. Knowles is the subject of a fairly recent blog post:

Robert E.Knowles, author of The Undertow

"Robert E. Knowles is the very sort of fellow one would expect to have been the subject of a biography. I'm thinking here of those dry, polite stories of a life, often penned by friends, that were published in the early half of the last century. Not only was Knowles "One of Canada's Best Known Novelists" – this according to the March 1909 Canadian Bookman – but he was once Canada's preeminent Presbyterian preacher, a man renowned throughout the Dominion for his sermons and oratorical skills."

[ii] Lincoln Steffins was a journalist, one of the best known of the "muckrakers" of the Progressive Era of the early 20th century. His Autobiography was published in 1931.

Lincoln Steffins

[iii] I started 7th grade at Marshall the Fall of 1944. The Junior High and Senior High were housed in one building. My career at Marshall was interrupted when mother and I moved to Kentucky in the fall of 1945 to join dad at Camp Breckinridge, and then was ended when we moved to Anamosa, IA in summer of 1946.

No comments:

Post a Comment