Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Paintings, prints and posters

I just took a bucket full of rolled up paintings, prints and posters to Experienced Goods, the local thrift store that is operated by Brattleboro Area Hospice (and is a big money-maker for them). There were about 25 items altogether. I photographed all of them before letting them go. I will post them here in bunches, rather than all at once.
British Sheep Breeds Poster. We must have gotten this on one of our trips to England, which would have been back in the 1970s or 1980s. It's a rare poster and very special for anyone interested in sheep. It's in good condition too. Hope someone likes it.
Family Genealogy Poster. I don't think I'm ever going to fill this out with our family tree. The way it's set up it doesn't work well for me, so I'm letting it go.
English Tudor History Poster. This is another poster we got on a trip to England. This one is NOT in very good condition, but it is packed with information!
Andrew Wyeth Poster. The irony of this one is that it is not from the Farnsworth Museum, in Rockland, ME, which specializes in Wyeth, but is again a poster from England. This is a Wyeth painting the Farnsworth doesn't have, I guess.
Detail from Matthias Grunewald's Isenheim altarpiece, which is in Colmar, France. The altarpiece is famous - it is a magnificent work with several panels, and was originally housed in a hospital for lepers. This panel depicts a concert of angels, and is part of an inner view of four panels: The Annunciation, this panel, the Nativity and the Resurrection. Shirley and I went to Colmar and spent quite a bit of time taking in this incredible work of art, so the poster is undoubtedly from that visit. When I tsught a course on The Bible and the Arts at Southern Vermont College back in the 1980s-90s, this altarpiece was part of the course (along with, e.g., the St. Matthew Passion of Bach, William Blake's Job etchings and the play J.B. by Archibald MacLeish). Maybe at some point I will do a series of blogposts about the courses I taught! Yesterday, we went to an Installation Service for Michael Mario at the First Congregational Church, in Springfield, VT. It was a lovely service, and was held indoors in the church sanctuary, but everyone was masked and sat somewhat separated. Michael and his wife, Heidi, were active in the Guilford Church decades ago and he paid tribute to the role Shirley played in his journey toward ministry - "she saw something in me I had not yet seen in myself." That was very sweet. In the photo below, left: Rev. Shawn Bracebridge, Moderator of the Windham-Union Association; the man in the middle is a layman representing the Springfield Church; right is Michael Mario, a Licensed Minister being installed as pastor of the Springfield Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment