Thursday, September 30, 2021

A few more prints

I haven't finished blogging about the prints and posters I took to Experienced Goods a couple of weeks ago. I think there are eight more after these three today, which are from Brown University. Brown would send out prints of campus scenes suitable for framing as a "Thank You" gift to donors, and I had collected three of them.
(1)The Carrie Tower and John Hay Library. This shot is taken at the corner of the campus. The John Hay Library was the library when I entered Brown in 1960, but in 1964-65, a new library, the Rockefeller Library, was built, and the John Hay was emptied out into the Rockefeller - which was right across the street. I was still working on my dissertation at that time and was a major library patron, and I had to deal with the dislocation and delay that that move entailed. I will have to say, though, that the library staff handled that move amazingly well. The John Hay building was not torn down - it became a more specialized library for archives and rare books.
(2) Pembroke in Snow. Pembroke College was a women's college in the first part of the 20th century, and it was a sister college to Brown, which was all men. Their campuses were adjoining but distinct. It had its own President and Board of Trustees, its own traditions and commencement, etc. In 1971, Brown became coed and Pembroke was dissolved as a college and subsumed into Brown. This was probably a blow to its alumnae, but I think the administration made every effort to maintain some distinctiveness. The campus was kept, but was used by both men and women, as was the Brown campus. I don't know when this photo was taken, but it shows the Pembroke campus in the winter-time. I like the dark figure crossing over the path - it adds a nice touch. Marilynne Robinson, Janet Yellen and Susan Bennett (the voice of "Siri" on Apple iPhones) are among the graduates of Pembroke College.
(3) The Cupola of Wayland House. This is my least favorite of the three prints - it seems a bit garish to me. Wayland House is a dormitory on the Brown campus. It is part of the Wriston Quadrangle, which was built in 1950-1952. It was named for Francis Wayland, President of Brown from 1827-1855. I don't know why it rated a cupola.

No comments:

Post a Comment