Sunday, July 1, 2018

A lovely, low-key Sunday

I got up about  9 a.m., showered, had breakfast, and went to church at Star Valley United Church. My friend Allan Schoonover was preaching on the value of interruptions. He urged that we be willing to be interrupted by the need of another. Last week, he celebrated the 50th anniversary of his ordination. The church put on a big party for him.

Allan and me
After church, I drove up behind Paul's house where we used to walk. It's still just as nice as it always was, but his house looks different somehow with someone else living in it.

I picked up some milk at the store and came home. Ellen was sitting outside in the sun. Paul was off on a rafting trip on the Snake River, and Jenny and Max were taking a little hike. Today has been a beautiful day: cool, sunny and breezy. My son, John, wrote from Vermont that they are having a terrible attack of heat and humidity.  Lucky us.

The view out the bedroom window - I'm lying on the bed as I blog
First thing after coming home, I did the Spelling Bee puzzle which Mary Tolles sent us from the New York Times, which is not available in Alpine. It was a little harder than usual. The letters were E in the middle with UGHN0T. The word "Huguenot" immediately came to mind, but, unfortunately, it is a proper noun and so couldn't be used. It would have been a three-pointer. But eventually, I managed to come up with the three-pointer and 14 other words, which made me a genius. Ellen was too - and we each had 2-3 words the other hadn't thought of, so as a team we were super-geniuses!

After the puzzle, I had some lunch that Ellen fixed for me, and then I organized some archival materials that I had brought with me. By the time we return to Vermont, they will all be digitized.

We had a really lovely supper on the back deck, a Thai meal that Jenny fixed, and then Ellen and I took a little stroll over to the Snake River, which is not very far away. A really lovely spot. I didn't think to take the phone to take pictures, but I will the next time.

Pretty soon we'll watch a soccer game from the World Cup. I think it's Croatia versus Poland. WRONG- it's Croatia/Denmark. After two quick goals in the first four minutes, making it 1-1 - they are now tied at 1-1 near the end of regular play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment