Sunday, December 20, 2015

Chirping night!

Last night after the Dems debate we tried to go to sleep. Well, I tried - Ellen went to sleep during the debate. I was about to succeed when a loud "Chirp" broke the silence. What was that? About ten minutes later it "chirped" again. I finally figured out it was the smoke alarm battery telling us it needed to be replaced. I checked the clock - 2:39 a.m.! What to do? Ellen was asleep. The chirp was not waking her. I didn't know exactly where the alarm was. If I got up and turned on the light it would wake Ellen, who I knew was very tired. So I tried to ignore it. But that was hopeless. I considered getting up, turning on the light, finding the alarm and removing the battery. But the ceiling was high and beyond my reach. I would have to stand on something and there was not a chair in the room suitable for that. So about 3:30a.m., I got up and called the front desk. I figured the negligence of management in failing to replace the battery in the fall - as we all should do, right? - esp. If you are running a motel! - required that management pay some price of inconvenience, so I felt no hesitation in calling at that hour. I felt badly for Ellen. That did wake her up. But the guy came pretty quickly, apologized, changed the battery, and that was that. Ellen went back to sleep immediately but I didn't. It was probably 5a.m. before I got some sleep, and then I slept until after nine and woke up when Ellen got up to take a shower. Not a good night.

                          Room 12 at Motel M

We got a good breakfast at Samantha's Restaurant in Angola, IN, which helped. We'll be in Bartlett before 4pm for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment