Wednesday, March 1, 2023

The Day Before

March 1st, the day before my birthday. It has been a very nice day, but I did have an unexpected adventure. I started out doing my exercises, and then sat out by the fireplace and worked on word puzzles. I needed to pick up a prescription at Walgreens and Jerome called and asked if I could take him out for a couple of errands, so at about 3:30p.m., I headed out. First I mailed Ellen's cards and then headed for Jerome's place, but he called as I was driving. I don't answer the cell phone while I'm driving so I just went to his place and called him to let him know I was there. Turned out he was calling to postpone the trip - he wasn't feeling well, plus the place he wanted me to take him closed at 4:00p.m., and we weren't going to make it in time. So, we put that off - maybe tomorrow, or more likely Friday. But I noticed that the "soft tire icon" which lights up on the dash, and which has been on for a few days, was still on. We had inspected the tires and not seen anything noticably flat, but I decided I had better look into it. There is a service station near where Jerome lives that has free air, so I went there. The right rear tire indeed looked soft, but when I tried to fill it, the pump didn't work. But I saw that the pressure was only 8 lbs. Oops! Almost flat tire, what do I do? There are two other gas stations nearby - I went to the first: no air pump. Second, a Shell station, had air, but it was $1.50 for four minutes. Who said the best things in life are free? Fortunately I had 6 quarters in the car. So I put them in, the pump worked, and I puumped the tire up. Four minutes expired just as I finished. Whew! But by then, I was sort of pooped out. As I was pulling away, John called. So I stopped and talked with him. He is feeling better, and we made a date to meet at the Dummerston Church, where there is WiFi, tomorrow at 10a.m. to work on family history, using the Mormon Family Search website. I will bring the work Betsey did on our family using Ancestry.com, a few years ago, plus notes my dad took which are on the computer. John has done some things already, so we can compare notes. Then I went to Walgreens, got TWO prescriptions, as it turned out, went home, but the low-fuel light came on (my dash has been busy!) and I went past my driveway to go down to Irving to get gas. Finally got home at about 5:30p.m. Sort of tuckered out, but Ellen had a nice swedish meatball supper for me, I revived and we went to the movies at the Latchis Theater: Women Talking, which we have wanted to see and this was the last night. An unusual movie, for sure, but quite compelling. It's mostly a group of women sitting in a barn talking! But what they are talking about is pretty hard stuff. It has six Oscar nominations. We both felt we would like to know more about it.
Betsey's Genealogy Book
Above: the cast talks with the director; Below: a scene from Women Talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment