Thursday, March 9, 2023

Since my 90th birthday

A lot of people ask me, "How does it feel to be 90 years old?" Usually I answer that it doesn't feel that different from being 89. but that isn't exactly true. Turning 90 has gotten me a lot of attention and appreciation. I received many nice greetings at church Sunday morning where I led the choir in the beautiful old hymn "Deal gently with thy servant Lord." I got a standing ovation at River Singers Tuesday evening, after they sang "Happy Birthday" - the version that is a round and ends, "may you have a long, long life," a wish that has already come true! i keep receiving cards, many of which say that I have been an inspiration to the sender. And I keep receiving gifts, to add to those I have already received. E.g., Tuesday, Kathy Leo and hèr husband, Tom, gave me three jars: honey. dilly-beans and honey-mustard - all home-made from their garden and beehives. Cynthia gave me a lovely, framed photograph of John and Betsey, taken years ago when they were together on the rocky coast of Maine. It is a very special picture that I love looking at. Earlier, I had gotten a beautiful red Chicago Bulls t-shirt and pair of socks from Jerry, and a book of brain puzzles to keep me sharp, and a music-box that plays "Happy Birthday" from Becky. Yesterday I held a Zoom Bible Study session that brought more loving good wishes. Saturday there will be a birthday dinner at Katie and Savanna's, delayed from last Saturday because of snow. So being 90 years old feels very special!
Above: gifts and cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment