Saturday, March 4, 2023

A full Birth Day

Thursday, my birthday, was a full day! Ellen and I had considered going to Chelsea Diner for breakfast, but I knew I would be eating out for both lunch and dinner, and didn't want to have to get up and rush to a restaurant in the morning when I could just stay home and get just as good a breakfast, so that's what we did and Ellen fixed me a super-breakfast with both bacon and sausage, two eggs over-easy and toast with orange marmalade, eaten by the fireplace, warm and cozy. A great start to the day.
Then I got dressed and met John at the Dummerston Church, and we spent about two hours on genealogical research on Family Search, the Mormon genealogy website. I established an account, which I have never done before, and that got me into the Family Tree John had created on that website. I also brought the book Betsey had created years ago - over ten years ago actually - based on her research on Ancestry.com. It turned out that her Crockett line pretty much agreed with the one John had created on Family Search. I don't know if that tends to validate the accuracy of that line or not, but it's what we've got. The big thing in that line is that it goes past my great-great grandfather, Samuel Crockett. For decades, that has been the barrier. But according to both Betsey's work and John's, Samuel Crockett, who married Lucinda McCelndon, was the son of Joseph Crockett (1758-1853) and Rhoda ??. Once you get past Joseph, it's pretty much clear sailing back to the French Heugenots of the 16th century who French Protestants who emigrated to Ireland, where they wwre also Protestants, and who then came to Virginia and eventually to Georgia. The thing that worries me is that we know almost nothing about Joseph, and obviously practically nothing about his wife - including her last name. So it is hard to find documentary evidence that he is father of Samuel. There are also two other Samuels in the line. Also, the book about the Crockett's (see below) written a century ago, doesn't know Joseph (I don't own a copy of this book - the "family" copy is in Elgin with Becky). But if Joseph is in fact the father of Samuel, then we are very distant cousins of Davy Crockett. We are actually connected to Davy two ways because one of our Crockett ancestors married a Crockett. So that is all very interesting. John and I went to an Indian restaurant for lunch - the Masala House, which is connected to the Colonial Inn and the pool where I use to go regularly. I had Palak Paneer (cheese cubes in spinich sauce. That was very nice, and then I came home and had a bit of time before we went out and met the Davis family and Peter and Mary Alice Amidon at Panda North for a birthday supper! There I had my usual, Mala Tofu, which I love. I had enough to have a good meal and then take home leftovers and I had it for lunch yesterday. Robin made me a yummy chocolate birthday cake, complete with candles. It was fun being with the Davis's'and Amidon's. We share a lot of history!
The Crockett Family History
Masala House Restaurant
Indian food at Masala House
At Panda North

No comments:

Post a Comment