Friday, May 7, 2021

Congratulations, my friend!

Wednesday, at the Chicago Theological Seminary Wednesday noon Reflections event, my 1957 seminary classmate, Robb Lapp, received the seminary's "Outstanding Alumni Award." Robb spoke at length about his life, and also introduced his new memoir, Listening to the Holy. Robb lives near Denver, CO. Ellen and I visited him and his wife, Jan (who is no longer living) at their home in Arvada, and also worshipped with them at their UCC church, which happens to be in Boulder. A few years ago, when CTS dedicated their new building at the University of Chicago, Robb was dealing with some health issues and needed a companion. I met him at Midway Airport, accompanied him to the dedication, and we stayed overnight with my brother, Stewart, who still alive at that time. Twenty years ago, when I was the Pastor-in Residence at CTS, Robb was serving as a Trustee and I saw quite a bit of him when he came to the Seminary for meetings. 

I went on-line to find Robb's book, and discovered that it cost almost $30 for a paperback edition, but only $4 for Kindle. I don't own a Kindle, but discovered I could download the Kindle app onto the phone for a one-month trial for free, so I did. I'm now reading Robb's book and enjoying it. We grew up and lived our adult lives in the same era and culture, but our lives have been very different. It has been interesting to note the similarities and the differences. More on that later.

Dr. Robinson "Robb" Lapp


No comments:

Post a Comment