Thursday, September 17, 2020

Big trip

Yesterday, Ellen drove down to Lansdowne, PA, and back - all in one day! - to visit her friends, Sarah, Harry and Wallace. They gathered in a large open garage to visit and share a meal. They had about 5 1/2 hours together. I stayed home. I could have gone with Ellen but our new Impreza (actually a 2011 Impreza) is more cramped for me than our 2013 Impreza was, and I was not eager to sit in a cramped position for 6-7 hours in both directions. We are actually going to look into taking out the front passenger seat like we did with the Toyota Corolla - I can sit in the back seat and stretch out my legs and it's great! But it may also be illegal! Or too much trouble (because of the airbag sensor in the seat).

Ellen made good time going down, but coming back late at night a quicker (but unfamiliar) way, she missed some turns and got lost twice. The iPhone GPS is useful in such situations, but for some reason, "Siri" wasn't speaking the directions as she usually does, and Ellen couldn't both drive and watch the directions on the screen. She called me twice to see if I could help, but I couldn't tell from a distance what Siri's problem was. She finally found the Merritt Parkway, but didn't get home until 2:10a.m. !! Meanwhile, my day went well, and went by quickly. I got up late, worked on the Spelling Bee, sat in on a Chicago Theological Seminary Zoom session, worked on getting ready for this evening's Swarthmore "Short Stories" course online (more of that later), John came over for a visit from. 6:30-9pm, I watched the news and Doc Martin, etc., but I worried a lot about Ellen too. I was so glad to hear her voice at 2:10a.m. (I was still awake). 

Tonight, Ellen is having supper with Julie in Amherst - outdoors. I'll do the "Stories" course. Should be interesting. I'll report on that tomorrow.


Ellen, Harry and Wallace in the garage

Wallace and Ellen by our car




No comments:

Post a Comment