Sunday, November 4, 2018

Decision time

These past few days have been a time of sort of agonizing decision making. A couple of nights ago I had an episode of heart palpitations or flutter actually and that made me think newly about the trip that's coming up to Santa Fe. I wondered if we maybe shouldn't be driving;  possibly should be taking the airplane , cutting down on the amount of time it would take to make the trip.  So here it is Sunday morning, I'll be leading the choir in Dummerston this morning, and then we need to decide : are we getting ready for a trip by car leaving tomorrow morning? I did some research last night on going by plane ; I wasn't very happy with what I found in terms of both cost and schedule. So right now, I think we're going to try to do it by car. Will have our final lecture in the Osher series tomorrow morning on the Arctic, and then unless we change our minds or I'm not feeling very well we'll take off for the south and ultimately Santa Fe.

The series on the Arctic has been really interesting. Last week we were looking at what's happening in the Arctic in terms of environmental change: in particular the melting of the ice sheets and permafrost , and specifically the Greenland ice sheet. 
It's pretty sobering. Here is one of the illustrations of the melting of the Greenland ice sheet over time: 






No comments:

Post a Comment