Monday, February 2, 2015

Walking scenes

IDAY TWENTY-ONE. Last night we got a few inches of light, fluffy snow so this morning I did a little shoveling and sweeping of snow. But yesterday was a good walking day, and so far the best walking has been on the road that goes up the hill behind Paul's house - everything else is pretty icy. This has become a very familiar walk, but of course it is also a bit different each time . So just as I took you on a tour of everyday indoor scenes , here are some from our almost daily walk:

This is from the top of the hill, by a big house which never seems to have anyone at home. The view is obstructed by bushes from the top.

This is the big house that is usually empty in the winter. We occasionally see signs of life in summer, but only rarely. What a travesty to have a house like this and rarely use it !

Just below the big house, the view opens up. Only the power line is an obstruction and you can sort of ignore that.

Below the big house at the top is another big house that is also usually empty! What is it with these people? 

I always chuckle when I pass this street sign. They obviously intended "osprey" but I like to imagine an appeal to the local mosquito prevention brigade - "O Spray" or even a mis-spelled crude religious grunt -  "Us Pray"

Another landmark is the horse pavilion. People board their horses here and there is an indoor riding ring. One year when Mimi and Tamar were here they got to ride horses here. 

This picture is a good one for showing the setting of Paul's house which is on the far left. You can see the end of a huge reservoir in the distance - The "village" of Alpine is next to the reservoir but unfortunately they haven't really taken advantage of that location in planning the town, if there was any planning.

I often count my paces when I walk. Not sure why - when we 're on an unfamiliar trail it gives me a sense of distance of course, but I'll do it even when I already know the distance. This walk averages about 2500 paces round trip. I figure my average pace at about 2.7 feet. So this walk is about 1.3 miles round trip. In good weather we walk a bigger and longer loop above Paul's house that is more like 2.5 miles r.t.


No comments:

Post a Comment