Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Immersed

DAY TWENTY-THREE: I've just finished reading Marilynne Robinson's Gilead which follows Lila chronologically within the story, but was written before Lila. But she must have had the whole story sketched out in her mind when she wrote it. It is a lovely book and I hope I can find time to reflect on it here at some point. I feel that I've been immersed in Robinson, and her main protagonist, the Rev. John Ames. It is so rare to find a truly sympathetic portrait of a clergyman in fiction.

I looked up information about Marilynn Robinson and discovered that we have something in common - we both graduated from  Brown in 1966, she as an undergraduate and I as a graduate student. She was Marilynne Summer then. Now I hope to read Home, but if I don't get to it here, it's waiting back at the house.

The other immersion has been the car seat in the Subaru. We inadvertently left the passenger window open and it snowed in, soaking the seat. Not a big deal except that it has disabled the air bag sensor and the weather is so damp it will take a long time to dry out. We have an appointment with Subaru tomorrow since  we need routine service anyway. Maybe they can reset it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment