Friday, May 31, 2024

Transportation Museum

Owl's Head has its own museum - the Owl's Head Transportation Museum. It is an unusual museum, and a very nice one. It is primarily historical: old cars, old airplanes, old bicycles, etc. They are arranged in different ways - some trace the development of a particular mode of transportation, and some have an accompanying video that gives you a narrative. The museum has a pretty fabulous collection of beautifully preserved/restored vehicles, planes, bikes, motorbikes, fire engines, etc. A lot of its holdings go back to the 1930's when I was born and a lot was happening in the development of transportation. There is an element of nostalgia - seeing things that I remember from childhood. Ellen and I went there Wednesday morning, and spent a couple of hours there. They had wheelchairs, and Ellen pushed me, so I did not get exhausted. Another nice experience in Maine.
A very early electric car.
The shell used in Boys in the Boat film about Yale crew that won Olympics gold medal.
Early "food truck."
1886 Benz.
Packard Touring Sedan.
Wright Brothers. ***************************** Wednesday evening, we went to Archer's Restaurant on the penninsula in Rockland harbor, and once again, I had steamed mussels. Yum! It was a lovely evening, but just breezy enough that we opted to eat indoors. It was very nice. After coming home, we had a game of Scrabble, and gosh, I won. about 135 points, I think. Mary was second, just 6 points behind me. I was lucky to have gotten an "X", a "Z", and a "K", and was able to play them on triple or double-letter squares. After we went to bed, I watched the second half of Drive My Car, a Japanese movie Mary had rented, but everyone else lost interest in it. i liked it.
From left, Hidetoshi Nishijima and Toko Miura in “Drive My Car,” directed by Ryusuke Hamaguchi.
A strawberry-rhubarb pie Mary made while we were there -- all grown in her garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment