Sunday, August 21, 2022

What's happening?

Well, as I write, there are planes flying close over the house. A jet went so close that it was really frightening! It was a fighter jet, according to Ellen - she was out on the porch on a Zoom session with her friends. She kept getting drowned out by the noise of planes. The plane is owned by a wealthy businessman who lives nearby. His business is acquiring discarded military aircraft and selling it to private citizens. There is very little regulation out here, but planes this close is not supposed to be happening and Paul has made frequent complaints to the FAA in the past. This time, he took photos. So he has evidence! Otherwise? We went to church at Star Valley United Church in Thayne this morning. It was led by a lay couple, Bob and Ginger (no last name provided) They live in Star Valley Ranch, where many of the people live who attend this church. Alan Schoonover and his wife Dee were there - he was pastor for a decade or so up until last year. I like him very much, and I was hoping I would see him. It was a nice service - Bob gave a simple but heartfelt sermon. It hit home in a particular way - it was about the healing of a woman bent over, in Luke 13: 10 Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. 11 And just then there appeared a woman with a spirit that had crippled her for eighteen years. She was bent over and was quite unable to stand up straight. 12 When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said, “Woman, you are set free from your ailment.” 13 When he laid his hands on her, immediately she stood up straight and began praising God. I am to some extent bent over myself. So I took this sermon in with special feelings.
An artist's rendering of Luke 13.13.
Star Valley United Church this morning - that's Alan and Dee right in the pew ahead of us. Last June, I visited Alan; I don't know if there will be a chance for that this year or not. ************************** OTHER THINGS: We have watched two soccer games on TV - last evening, Real (pronounced "Ray-ahl") Salt Lake was playing the Vancouver WhiteCaps. RSL was ahead by one point much of the game, but in the last minutes, VW made a goal - a head shot right in front of the goal. So it ended in a tie. RSL fans were very disappointed. Yesterday we watched another game, but I can't remember who the teams were. We never get to see soccer at home, so it's fun. Paul is an avid fan. And, oh yes, yesterday, Paul and Jenny went rafting while we stayed home, reading, working on the computer, doing word games. We also went to the supermarket where Max works - we saw him there. While there, I bought some callous remover pads, which I have been wanting to do for some time. I have a painful callous on my right foot. So far, we haven't made any trips at all - except the one to Thayne to go to church today.************** I talked with John yesterday. He and Cynthia had gone kayaking in New Hampshire on Friday, I think it was. They discovered a beautiful marsh near Springfield, NH - a place where you can really explore channels that lead out into unexpected places, and is filled with an abundance of bird and plant life. I think it is called McDaniel's Marsh, aka Butternut Pond. I found some photos of it online. It looks beautiful! John said it reminded him of one of the Swallows and Amazons books, Secret Water, a novel which is based on a place called Hamford Water near the town of Walton-on-the-Naze, in Essex, England. In Secret Water, the children (who call themselves "The Swallows") are charged by their father (who is in the British navy), to chart this area, unknown to them, where they are spending the summer, and they encounter sort of a rival group of local children called "The Eels." The Swallows' old friends, Nancy and Peggy (The "Amazons") get involved too. I have mentioned the Arthur Ransome Swallows and Amazons series several times in this blog. I highly recommend them.
McDaniel's Marsh, where John and Cynthia were.
The book, Secret Water
Hamford Water, where the Swallows were mapping.
A representation of their Map.***************************************** Comparing the photos, I can see how John could have been reminded of Secret Water. I was happy to be reminded of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment