Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Developments

Things are happening:
  +  Ellen  is gradually feeling better, though not yet fully recovered from whatever it is she was dealing with. She is increasingly becoming more active after a week or more when all she wanted to do was lie in bed (though she was not able to!).

   + Sunday evening (I think that was when it was), I went to the movies alone. I went to see RGB - a documentary about the life and judicial activity of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg. It was very interesting; she is a remarkable person for sure. I was particularly interested to learn about her earlier work in the area of women's rights. She had argued six cases before the Supreme Court before becoming a Justice herself, and had won five of them.

    + Monday, I picked up my bike. Later I took it down to the Quarry Road and rode it briefly - I had not been on it for almost four years!  It felt unfamiliar. I can still ride a bike, but my right shoulder is not happy about my trying to do so. I'm not sure I'll be able to get back to where I was, but I'm going to try in small increments.

     +  Yesterday, after days of futile effort, I finally got the lawn mower going. I had done the things you are supposed to do - e.g., cleaning the spark plug, cleaning the air filter - but at best it would start chugging and immediately die. This time I emptied out all the old gas and filled the tank with fresh gas. And that seemed to do the trick. I had to start it several times before it finally kept running, but it finally did, and I mowed a section of lawn. Persistence pays!

      + Yesterday we also got a call from Windham/Windsor Housing Trust. We are  second in line for a 2-bedroom unit at Putney Landing! If the people ahead of us turn it down, we will be offered the unit. This is happening much sooner than we expected. I have mixed feelings and a lot of questions  about Putney Landing. It is ideally located for walking to Putney Village (though it isn't clear how easy it will be in the winter). But the unit they may offer us has (I think) a bath only on a second floor, where the two bedrooms are. That would present an accessibility problem if one of us got disabled. But if they offer it, we'll get a tour and we can ask all our questions. Not sure how we would be able to make a move this summer! We plan to go to Wyoming at the end of June, and were planning to be gone 4-6 weeks. There is even a possibility (I heard Ellen say this) that we would move out there this year to help with Max during what is clearly going to be a difficult transition year for Paul and Jenny. So - we'll see what happens!

      + Right now, I am at the Subaru dealership while they work on the Impreza. They found brakes that needed to be relined to pass inspection.  Always something!

       + And oh yes, I trimmed my beard last evening. Hadn't done that for months!

Not quite so ragged as I was!  



1 comment: