Monday, January 29, 2018

An earlier post

I tried to upload  this last week and it didn't work. Here goes again sans a photo which may have been the problem. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tomorrow we are making a side trip to Boise. We're hoping the weather cooperates. It looks good going over but may hit snow at the end of the trip back, Friday.

Ellen and I went to church Sunday and visited with some members at coffee hour. I had met one couple at the MLK event. Everyone there is very friendly but a bit more conservative than our usual circle. It's good to be pulled out of our bubble. I have a feeling that if I ever preached there, though, I might not be asked back! 

This week I started reading through John's book from beginning to end and sending back my thoughts and responses.  It is an edited collection of his essays, and it is powerful! I'm in awe of how he has tackled one of the most difficult of topics.

I've also been reading  about The Septuagint, the Ancient Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, which has a lot to do with the doctoral dissertation I wrote 50+ years ago and am "revisiting." I ordered a book from Amazon, titled Invitation to the Septuagint. It is very clearly written. The author, Karen Jobes, teaches at Wheaton College, IL, where Rob went. I'm hoping to visit the Wheaton library when we are back in Bartlett next week. 

Otherwise, it has snowed quite a bit. I've been very glad to have my ice grippers to slip over my shoes; it's icy. 

Ellen has prepared some great meals: e.g., shepherd's pie, meat loaf, and tonight a Cajun stew with shrimp and sausage. 


No comments:

Post a Comment