Sunday, June 28, 2015

Yesterday

Let's see, yesterday was Saturday. We left Bartlett at about 10 a.m., and drove across Illinois on Rte 64 to cross the Mississippi River at Savanna, IL/Subula, IA and on to Anamosa, Iowa to stop and see Betty Remley.

Mississippi River at Savanna, IL


While we were at Betty's, another Betty, Betty Ogden Miller, came by. Betty is the daughter of Parke and Lucille Ogden, who were members of my father's church in Anamosa back in the 1950's when I was in high school. I worked for Parke on his farm the summers of 1947 and 1948, and the summer of 1949, I was a driver for Betty's grandfather, Dan Umbenhauer, who was a salesman for the Grinnell Glove Company. I was only 16 years old, but I got the greatest job imaginable - driving 10,000 miles through Iowa, Illinois and Missouri using a company car with an expense account. Dan was in his 80's, but still the best salesman the company had. Betty brought some photos. Here's one:

Lucille Ogden and her father, Dan Umbenhauer, in the 1940's.

I love this one of Dan, which shows how short he was. He is younger in this photo than when I knew him, but he still had this elan in his 80's. We were called Mutt and Jeff - I 6'5" and he was 5' if that. 

Dan Umbenhauer on the right
I got a nice shot of Betty Remley and Ellen as we were leaving


Betty and Ellen
After Anamosa, we drove across Iowa - and had the "couldn't find a motel room" adventure, finally ending up in Sioux City at 11p.m.

Today we drove across Nebraska on Rte 20, stopped for a lunch out of our box at a roadside rest area,

Spring Valley Rest Area in western Nebraska
Tonight we are at Fort Robinson State Park, in a lodge.

Fort  Robinson Lodge
We going on a Hayrack breakfast in the morning. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment