Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A little update

So, right now, I'm sitting at the Guilford Church taking advantage of WiFi. We just had a meeting of the Pastoral Relations Committee. Earlier, I worked on cleaning out the shed a bit more - raking junk and leaves out. Yesterday, I spent most of the afternoon with Karen, the daughter of Esther Falk, and our Dummerston Church pastor, Rev. Susanna Griefen, planning a memorial service for Esther, who died earlier this year. Esther was a truly remarkable woman who had lived her earlier life as a medical missionary in Kashmir, and whom I first met the summer of 1956 when I came to Dummerston as the summer minister. Her memorial service will be very moving, I am sure. Ellen has been working hard on a tallith for her granddaughter, Miriam's bat mitzvah which is coming up this coming Saturday. I think she has pretty much finished it, and just needs to make the eyelets for the tzitzit fringes.

I have also started scanning some old slides I found in the sauna. They are a real mix of family slides, some classic scenes from New York City in the 1950's, mountain scenes from my summer in Colorado in 1951 - real vintage stuff. I'm amazed at how well they have held up.

Here are a few:

Staten Island Ferry - mid - 1950's
This was taken back when the Staten Island Ferry had outside seats running the perimeter of the entire boat. That has not been true for decades. Today's ferries have no outside seating, I think.

The Queen Elizabeth Liner, from the Staten Island Ferry
One time I just happened to get this shot of of QE. What a thrill!  This is the original QE, I think, not the QE 2.

Larry at his graduation from seminary at the University of Chicago, 1957

No comments:

Post a Comment